35-3/4 lb beef, roast, raw
14-1/4 lb bacon, pork, raw
1-1/8 qt olive oil
2-1/8 yellow onion, minced
8-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/8 qt All-purpose flour
1-1/8 cup base, beef paste
3-5/8 gal water
2-1/8 tsp thyme, dried leaves
2-1/8 tsp basil, dried leaves
1-1/8 qt tomato purée
2-7/8 Tbsp black pepper, ground
1. Trim excess fat from meat and slice to 1/2” thick.
2. Season sliced meat with Monkey Mix, lightly. Place 2 slices of peppered bacon on each slice. Roll and secure with a toothpick.
3. Heat half the oil in roasting pan. Brown both sides and drain fat.
4. Sauté chopped onions and minced garlic in remaining oil. Add flour and stir, cooking 10 minutes.
5. Mix together base and water to make stock.
6. Combine flour mixture, stock, tomato purée, and spices. Pour over meat. Cover with parchment and then foil and braise it.
7. CCP - Maintain > 140ºF/60ºC. Temperature should be taken every 2 hours during holding. CCP - Cool: product must reach 140ºF/60ºC to 70ºF/21ºC within 2 hours and 70ºF/21ºC to 40ºF/4ºC within 4 hours. CCP - Reheat: to internal temp of 165ºF/74ºC held 15 sec within 2 hours - one time only.
Recipe provided by Steve Ulibarri, Cuisine Unlimited, at the 2015 Art of Catering Food conference in Salt Lake City.
The Art of Catering Food is brought to you in part by: