Happy National Chicken and Waffles Day!
Photo courtesy Savannah Spirov
The lip-smacking and finger-sticking-inducing culinary combo of savoriness and sweetness collide for a soulful celebration of flavor on October 20th as we celebrate National Chicken and Waffles Day.
Check out Chris Towne's take on chicken and waffles below, where he turns it into a satisfying appetizer.
Photo courtesy WASIO Faces/SpotMyPhotos
Miniature Chicken & Waffle Cones
Yield: Approximately 50 cones
Ingredients for Remoulade
Combine all ingredients and transfer to a squeeze bottle.
Ingredients for Mashed Potatoes
- Place in a large pot with 1 T salt. Add water so it’s 10cm / 4” above the potatoes.
- Preheat fryer to 350° F.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat so it’s simmering rapidly. Cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are very soft (jab with fork to test, they should fall apart).
- Drain well, return to the pot. Leave for one minute, shaking pot every now and then, to encourage evaporation of water.
- Press potatoes through ricer.
- Fold in butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to piping bag.
Ingredients for Chicken
- Coat chicken in flour mixture, shake excess flour off.
- Fry chicken for three to four minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Pipe mashed potatoes into waffle cone.
- Top with fried chicken.
- Add a dollop of maple sriracha remoulade.
- Garnish with microgreen, serve immediately