July is National Watermelon Month in the U.S.! Watermelons represent the epitome of summer and make for an awesome addition to any recipe!
Seared Alaskan Halibut
Recipe courtesy of Marc Johnson, Executive Chef, Oak Grill | Aqua Lounge, Newport Beach, CA
Ingredients for Watermelon Vinaigrette
½ gallon fresh watermelon puree
¼ cup honey
½ cup champagne vinegar
2 T chopped shallots
1 T dijon mustard
1 cup olive oil
1 cup blended vegetable oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 sachet of chopped fresh mint
- In saucepan, combine watermelon juice and honey
- Cook over medium-high heat until reduced to about 3 cups.
- Stir in vinegar, shallots and mustard until blended.
- Gradually whisk in olive oil and vegetable oil.
- Season with salt and pepper; add mint sachet.
- Set vinaigrette aside.
Ingredients for Seared Halibut
2 lbs halibut fillets
Salt and pepper, to taste
Lemon-flavored olive oil
2 heirloom tomatoes, thickly sliced
6 thick, round slices watermelon
6 white asparagus spears, sautéed and cut on the bias
½ cup blanched English peas
½ cup cubed watermelon
- Season halibut fillets with salt and pepper.
- Coat bottom of large sauté pan with lemon oil
- Place over medium-high heat.
- Add halibut and sear on both sides, forming a golden-brown crust.
- Cook fish until it flakes with a fork but is still firm.
- Layer a slice of tomato on each of six plates
- Top with a slice of watermelon.
- Place halibut on top and drizzle with 1-2 ounces Watermelon Vinaigrette.
- Garnish with 1 asparagus spear, 1 Tbsp peas and 1 Tbsp cubed watermelon.
For more recipes from our Recipe Friday series and beyond, click here