I was delighted to receive a call from Stella Rankin, founding partner of Pinch Food Design in New York City, who was interested in partnering with Catersource to bring unique ideas, trends, images and other beautiful concepts for catering to our readers. How wonderful that we were able to quickly cement our relationship with a striking photo and recipe that trumpets the beauty of summer and also supports our precious wildlife pollinators.
“More Honey than Vinegar:” is a gorgeous concoction of liquid shortbread, mascarpone semifreddo, vinegar honey, bee pollen, and honeycomb. Enjoy, and do let us know how well this recipe goes over with your clients! —Kathleen
More Honey than Vinegar
Recipe & photo courtesy Pinch Food Design
Ingredients for Mascarpone Mousse
375 g mascarpone
160 g cream cheese – Philadelphia
150 g crème fraîche
100 g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean pod – seeds scraped
2 oranges – juice and zest
2 lemons – juice and zest
60 ml Grand Marnier liqueur
3 gelatin leaves
- Add all ingredients (except the Grand Marnier and gelatin) to a food processor and start blending.
- Slowly add the Grand Marnier until incorporated.
- Bloom the gelatin in cold water, then add to a dry pan and melt over a low heat.
- Add to the blender and blitz to incorporate.
- Once the mascarpone mixture is smooth, pass through a sieve into a tray (16 x 24 x 2cm) and leave to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Portion into rectangles approximately 2cm x 10cm and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Ingredients for Honeycomb Crumble
221 g sugar
13 g water
25 g corn syrup
1 3/4 tsp baking soda
- Combine all the ingredients except baking soda in saucepan. Boil to 300 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and whisk in baking soda. Pour into a greased pan. Let cool for 1 hour. Crumble.
Ingredients for Frozen Honeycomb-Molded Shortbread Glaze
180 g all-purpose flour
110 g almond flour
110 g butter – cold
90 g confectioners’ sugar
2 g salt
50 g grapeseed oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, paddle both flours, butter, confectioners’ sugar, and salt on low speed until the dough forms a crumbly texture.
- Transfer to baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to evenly brown the shortbread.
- Let cool at room temperature.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and pulse to a fine crumble.
- Transfer the crumble to a blender and blend in the oil on low speed. Once fully incorporated, puree on high until the shortbread becomes liquified.
- Pour liquid into honeycomb mold and freeze.
Ingredients for Vinegar Honey Drizzle
1 cup honey
2 T apple cider vinegar
- Stir slowly to incorporate vinegar into honey.
- Place the mascarpone mousse portion on plate.
- Add frozen honeycomb-molded shortbread glaze on top of the mousse.
- Add the honeycomb crumble on either side of the mousse.
- Garnish with bee pollen.
- Lastly, drizzle the vinegar honey on top using a honey dipper.