The perfect holiday inspired appetizer for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any time of year, these rolls are sure to impress, can be made in advance, incorporate leftovers and can be served sweet or savory.
"I love the simplicity of the recipe yet how elegant it looks and how delicious it tastes," says Bill Schreiber with Jones Dairy Farm. "The sausage roll can incorporate holiday favorites like stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy, and can be served sweet or savory."
Savory Sausage & Cranberry Rolls
Recipe courtesy Chef Kate Lulloff for Jones Dairy Farm
Ingredients for For icing (optional):
- If using frozen puff pastry, remove from freezer and allow to thaw.
- If using refrigerated pastry, remove from refrigerator 20 minutes prior to using.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Cook and crumble sausage roll in a skillet over medium heat, according to package directions. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Unroll puff pastry onto a piece of parchment paper. Cut into 3 equal pieces approximately 6” x 12”. Spread softened cream cheese on all 3 pieces. Starting with the first piece, spoon cranberries down the center length of the pastry. Layer sausage crumbles and stuffing, if using, on top of cranberries. Carefully fold one long end and then the other toward the center, overlapping slightly. Pinch two short ends to seal.
- Roll the pastry over so the seam is facing down. Score the top of the roll with a sharp knife, making diagonal cuts. Once scored, carefully cut the roll into 5-6 pieces, following the same diagonal pattern.
- Repeat the process to make 2 additional rolls, cutting each into 5-6 pieces.
- Place cut rolls onto a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about an inch between rolls as they will “puff” up when baking. Brush each roll with the beaten egg and sprinkle with fresh chopped herbs, leaving some herbs whole for garnishing.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until they turn a beautiful deep golden brown.
- While sausage rolls are baking, mix powdered sugar and cranberry juice or milk in a small bowl to make icing, if using.
- If using gravy as a dipping sauce, warm this while rolls are in the oven.
- When rolls are finished baking, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- For savory rolls, serve with a side of the warm gravy for dipping.
- For sweet and savory, drizzle with the icing and serve warm.