Who said that tacos are only for dinner? With scrambled eggs, melty cheese, spicy chorizo and delicious honey, these sweet & spicy Chorizo Jalapeño Breakfast Tacos from the National Honey Board are the perfect way to celebrate National Taco Day, which was on October 4th!
Chorizo Jalapeno Breakfast Tacos
Yield: 8 tacos
8 (6 inch) flour or corn tortillas
1 ½ T vegetable oil
2 or 3 (about 12 oz.) red potatoes, diced
½ yellow onion, diced
salt & pepper, to taste
8 oz. chorizo
2 small or 1 large jalapeño, stem and seeds removed, chopped fine
3 T honey
1 T butter
4 eggs, whisked together
½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
½ cup favorite salsa
fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- On medium-high, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet and add the potatoes, cook for about 5 minutes, add the onions, chorizo, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for another 10-12 minutes, breaking up the chorizo into bite-size pieces with the spatula, until sausage is browned and potatoes are tender.
- Next, add the jalapeño, cook for another 3 minutes, add the honey and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm.
- Melt the butter in a second skillet and scramble the eggs.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and divide the potato mixture and eggs between them. Top each taco with the shredded cheese, salsa and cilantro, serve immediately.