December 18th is National “I Love Honey” Day. As versatile and unique as it is delicious, there are so many reasons and ways to celebrate everyone's favorite natural sweetener. Whether you're using it to sweeten and extend the shelf life of Santa's cookies or fuel your holiday gift-wrapping marathon, honey may be the holiday sidekick you didn't know you needed.
Looking to host the perfect holiday gathering but not sure where to start? The National Honey Board has got you covered! Award-winning mixologist Julia Momose knows a thing or two about creating crowd-pleasing cocktails and spirit-free beverages that are sure to delight family and friends during the holiday season.
Mexican Hot Chocolatet Honey Mocha
- Combine Spicy Honey Syrup & espresso at the bottom of a glass mug.
- Top with steamed chocolate milk.
- Follow with whipped cream and cocoa nibs.
Ingredients for Spicy Honey Syrup
- Combine Honey Simple Syrup and all other ingredients in a bowl until fully integrated. Bottle and set aside for service.
Ingredients for Honey Simple Syrup
- Heat 2 parts honey to 1 part hot water in a saucepan over medium-low heat until the mixture reaches a simmer. Remove from heat and cool. Store at room temperature or refrigerate as desired.
- Lasts 4 weeks in the refrigerator.
Honey Cardamom Pear Sangria
- Add honey and water to a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the mixture to come to room temperature.
- In a large pitcher add all ingredients, except the ginger ale. Refrigerate for 4 hours or up to 3 days. Serve with a splash of ginger ale.
Honey'D Coffee G&T
- Chill glass with one cup of ice; remove once adequately chilled and discard
- Measure cold brew coffee, orange blossom honey and gin into chilled glass
- Stir to incorporate; fill glass with one cup of remaining ice
- Top with tonic water
- Garnish with fresh orange rind
- Chill glass with ½ cup ice; remove once adequately chilled and discard
- Combine lemon juice, clover honey, yuzu juice, and spirit-free gin in cocktail shaker
- Shake with ½ cup remaining ice until chilling and dilution are achieved
- Fine strain into a chilled stemmed glass
- Top with ginger beer and garnish with mint leaves
The Berries and Bees
- Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker
- Shake with ice cubes until the blackberries incorporate and chilling and dilution are achieved
- Fine strain into glass
- Garnish with lemon peel/twist, 3 blackberries, cracked black pepper, and grated nutmeg
Spiced Honey Toddy