People around the country have been mourning the loss the summer festivals, so why not bring a little of the fun home with some tasty bites on a stick.
Put a spin a traditional corn dog this National Avocado Day with this Avocado Corn Dog.
California Avocado "Corndog"
Recipe courtesy of Matt Hastings, Main Course California
6 ripe fresh California avocados, peeled and seeded
3 cups packaged cornbread mix
1 ½ cups water
12 dried California chiles
6 limes, each cut into 4 wedges
¾ cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper, to taste
Canola oil for frying
24 8-inch skewers
Mexican Chili Lime seasoning, as needed
California avocado ranch dressing, for dipping (recipe follows)
Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350°F.
- In batches, grind the dried chiles with seeds in a spice grinder. Whisk into the cornbread mix. Set aside.
- Cut each avocado into 4 wedges and season with salt and pepper. Carefully skewer each wedge. Dust the wedges with flour, shaking off excess. Place the skewers on a tray and freeze for 5-10 minutes.
- Whisk the water into the cornbread-chile mix (consistency should be like pancake batter).
- Dip frozen skewers in batter, allowing excess to drip off.
- Fry skewers until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined tray. Serve 2 skewers on each plate with lime wedges and chili-lime seasoning, and 2 Tbsp California Avocado Ranch Dressing, if desired, for dipping. Garnish with cilantro.
Ingredients for Avocado Ranch Dressing
½ cup ripe fresh California avocado, finely mashed
1 cup prepared ranch dressing
- Mix all ingredients together
For more recipes from our Recipe Friday series and beyond, click here