There are plenty of people who can’t live without hot sauce, whether it's Siracha, Tabasco, Cholula, Frank's Red Hot, spicy sauce lovers will put it on everything from eggs to sandwiches to steak. Tomorrow we celeberrate those who like a little burn with their meals with National Hot Sauce Day!
Even though today's hot sauce recipes contain a wide variety of peppers (Habanero, Thai chillies, chipotle, serranos, ghost peppers, cayenne, jalapeño, and chipotle peppers), everyone has a different preference. Whether you are more of a Tabasco person, or prefer the spicy chili peppers of Southeast Asia, the options are endless. So, if you are one of those people who feels that “spicy” is never quite spicy enough, National Hot Sauce Day is the perfect day for you!
Watermelon Poke Bowl
Recipe courtesy National Watermelon Promotion Board
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
¼ to ½ cup watermelon juice
1 tsp sriracha chili sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 ea. green onions, cut on the diagonal with whites and greens separated
3 medium cloves garlic, or 2 large cloves garlic, minced
½ T minced ginger root
⅓ white onion, thinly sliced
¾ lb ahi tuna, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 ea. small avocado, diced
⅔ cup diced watermelon
¼ tsp sesame seeds
Pickled ginger for garnish
In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, watermelon juice, chili sauce, oil, the white portion of green onions, garlic, ginger root and onion. Add tuna, toss and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
10 minutes before serving, add avocado and return to refrigerator.
Plate as *desired and top with watermelon and green onions, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with pickled ginger.
Note: Watermelon Poke Bowls can be served as individual portions over rice (seasoned with a touch of rice wine vinegar) as a main dish, in small serving bowls as an appetizer or side dish, or on a large platter for a buffet. Garnish with dried seaweed for extra Hawaiian flare.
Sriracha Bacon Deviled Eggs
Recipe courtesy Jones Dairy Farm
4 slices Jones Dairy Farm Dry Aged Bacon, diced
8 large eggs, hard boiled, peeled and halved lengthwise
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp Sriracha, or more, to taste
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup avocado, diced, for garnish
1 T fresh chives, chopped, for garnish
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1 teaspoon bacon fat.
- In large bowl, roughly mash egg yolks with 1 teaspoon bacon fat, mayonnaise, Sriracha, mustard, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, to taste. Fill egg white halves with egg mixture.
- Garnish with additional crumbled bacon, avocado, chives and cayenne pepper, if desired.
Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango & Daikon Sprout Slaw
Recipe courtesy National Mango Board
2 ¼ cups mayonnaise
6 T siracha
6 cups shredded Napa cabbage
2 ¼ cups diced ripe Fresh Mango*
1 ½ cups daikon sprouts
½ cup fresh lime juice
½ cup sesame oil
3 T kosher salt, divided
3 T white pepper, divided
3 lbs 12-oz fresh rock shrimp
2 ¼ cups rice flour
2 ¼ cups A.P. flour
1 cup, plus 2 T cornstarch
2 T toasted white sesame seeds
60 leaves Bibb lettuce cup leaves
12 ea. round (green/red) mangos
12 ea flat (yellow) mangos
1 cup mango, diced
12 sprigs cilantro, for garnish
½ cup siracha, for garnish
- Whisk together mayonnaise and siracha; set aside for shrimp.
- To make mango slaw: Toss together cabbage, mango, daikon sprouts, lime juice, sesame oil, 3 teaspoons salt and pepper.
- To prepare flour mixture: Toss together flours, cornstarch, 3 teaspoons salt and 6 teaspoons pepper.
- Per order: Toss 5 ounces shrimp with flour and fry shrimp at 350 degrees F in soybean or canola oil for 3-1/2 minutes, until light golden brown and crispy. Remove shrimp from fryer, drain on paper towel; toss with siracha mayonnaise mixture and toasted sesame seeds.
- To serve: Arrange 5 lettuce and shrimp on a rectangular plate. Garnish the shrimp with cilantro sprig and the plate with drops of siracha. Spoon about 1/3 cup mango slaw onto a small plate.
Crawfish Biscuit Beignets with Remoulade Sauce
Recipe courtesy General Mills Convenience and Food Service
2 cups cold water
5 ea. large eggs
2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
2 tsp Tabasco
½ tsp salt
1 T worcestershire sauce
½ box Gold Medal™ Buttermilk Biscuit Mix (11765)
1 ¼ cups scallions, minced
¾ cup red bell peppers, fresh, diced small
¾ cup green bell peppers, fresh, diced small
1 lb crawfish tails, cooked
Method for Beignet
- Pour water in large bowl; add eggs, old bay seasoning, hot sauce, salt and Worcestershire and whisk to combine.
- Add biscuit mix; stir with rubber spatula until soft dough is formed (approx. 20-25 strokes).
- Add scallions, peppers and crawfish to dough; fold in until evenly combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Drop #40 scoops of batter into fryer oil preheated to 350°F; flip beignets after 2 minutes.
- Fry an additional 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.
Ingredients for Remoulade Sauce
3 ½ cups mayonaise
1 T dijon mustard
3 T tomato ketchup
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 T hot sauce
¾ cups scallions
Method for Remoulade
- Mix together mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, lemon juice, hot sauce and scallions in bowl until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Serve warm with 1 oz Remoulade sauce on the side.
Old Bay Hot Sauce
Fiery Old Bay Hot Sauce Wings
Recipe courtesy McCormich for Chefs
4 lbs chicken wings
½ cup cornstarch
1 cup Old Bay Hot Sauce
- Steam chicken wings until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached. Cool completely, cover, and hold refrigerated for service.
- Set fryer to 375°F. For each serving, toss 1 pound of wings with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch until well coated. Fry until golden brown.
- Drain wings and place in a bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup of OLD BAY Hot Sauce. Serve hot alongside desired accompaniments.
Green Bean Fries
Recipe courtesy McCormick for Chefs
Ingredients for Old Bay Hot Sauce Aioli
¾ cup mayonaise
¼ cup Old Bay Hot Sauce
- Whisk together mayonnaise and OLD BAY Hot Sauce. Refrigerate until service.
Ingredients for Green Beans
½ cup flour
2 ea. eggs, beaten
1 cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 T Old Bay Hot Sauce
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 lb French green beats, trimmed
- Place flour, eggs, and panko into three separate shallow third pans.
- Whisk OLD BAY Hot Sauce into eggs. Whisk parmesan and OLD BAY seasoning into panko.
- Bread haricot verts using standard breading procedure. Place on a parchment lined sheet tray. Cover and refrigerate until service.
- Set oven to 350°F. Bake off 4-5 ounces of breaded green beans until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve warm with 1/4 cup of OLD BAY Hot Sauce aioli.
Red Pepper Martini
Recipe courtesy Cooking and Kate
1 ea. medium bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 2-inch pieces
¼ ea. medium jalapeño pepper, seeded
1 ea. lime, juiced
½ garlic clove, peeled
3 oz Stoli vodka
1 tsp agave nectar or simple syrup
1 dash Cholula
Freshly ground black pepper
Coarse sea salt or kosher salt, optional
- First, line the rims with black pepper and salt if desired. Sprinkle a small plate with pepper and salt, run a lime wedge around the rims of two martini glasses, and dip the edges in the salt and pepper mixture.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the bell pepper, jalapeno, lime juice and garlic. You’re done when the peppers have no more crunch left in them.
- Add the vodka, agave or simple syrup, hot sauce, a couple twists of freshly ground black pepper and a dash of salt. Fill the shaker with ice, top the shaker with its lid and shake it like crazy. Strain the mixture into the prepared glasses and serve immediately.
Pacific Rim Bbq Sliders
Recipe courtesy McCormich for Chefs
Ingredients for Pacific Rim Bbq Glaze
½ cup Franks Stingin Honey Garlic Sauce
2 T Cholula Original Hot Sauce
½ tsp ginger, minced
- In a bowl, combine honey garlic sauce, Cholula Original, and ginger. Whisk well to blend. Hold refrigerated for service.
Ingredients for Kimchi Slaw
¼ cup mayonaise
½ tsp Cholula Chili Garlic Hot Sauce
½ T honey
½ T rice vinegar
3 cups cabbage, fined shredded
1 cup kimchi, chopped
1 ½ T scallions, slivered
12 ea. beef slider patties
12 ea. sweet slider buns
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, Cholula Chili Garlic Hot Sauce, honey, and rice vinegar. Whisk well.
- In another bowl, combine cabbage, kimchi, and scallions. Pour dressing over cabbage and mix well. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set grill to medium-high. For each serving, grill 3 slider patties until desired doneness. Remove from grill and brush each generously on both sides with 2 teaspoons Pacific Rim BBQ Glaze.
- Place cooked patties on slider buns, top each with 2 tablespoons Kimchi Slaw. Serve hot.
Hot Honey Chili Sauce
Korean Chili Chicken Bites
Recipe courtesy Chef Wook Kang, Culinary Instructor/Assistant Professor, Kendall College (Chicago, IL)
Ingredients for Fried Chicken
1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs, whole, beaten
2 cups panko bread crumbs
4 cups canola oil
Ingredients for Chili Sauce
½ cup honey
½ cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ T ginger, minced
½ T Gochugaru flakes
3 T rice wine vinegar
3 T apple cider vinegar
½ cup cold water
2 T light soy sauce
1 T sesame oil
1 T sesame seeds, toasted
4 T scallions, sliced 1/8 inch thick
Pinch of kosher salt
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces or cut into 2” x 2” chunks.
- Season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the all-purpose flour.
- In a separate bowl, add the beaten eggs to the bowl.
- In another bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs.
- Dredge the chicken chunks, first into the flour and shake the excess.
- Dip each chicken piece into the egg mixture.
- Then toss with the panko breadcrumbs until each chicken piece is well coated.
- Preheat a pot with oil, to 350 F degrees or use a deep fryer. This can also be prepared in an air-fryer. Fry the chicken pieces in batches until they are all cooked and allow to drain on a paper towel lined pan or plate. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 F degrees.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add the honey and brown sugar. Cook this mixture until it becomes thick and syrupy.
- Add the garlic and ginger, off the heat. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Stir the mixture with a high heat utensil, careful not to let the sugar caramelize.
- Immediately add the garlic, ginger, and the gochugaru flakes.
- Add both vinegars to deglaze the pan.
- Add the water and soy sauce and simmer until it is almost the consistency of syrup.
- Remove from the heat, once the sauce has reached the consistency of syrup.
- Add the sesame oil, seeds, and scallions.
- Adjust the seasoning with kosher salt, as desired.
- In a bowl, toss the fried chicken bites with the sauce and serve immediately.
- Garnish with the fresh scallions on top for service.
Frank's Red Hot
Cheesy Buffalo Tots
Recipe courtesy McCormick for Chefs
36 ea. potato tots
1 cup alfredo sauce
¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
8 tsp Frank's Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- Set fryer to 375°F. For each serving, fry 9 tots until golden brown. Remove from fryer and drain.
- Spread 1/4 cup of hot Alfredo sauce across a small service dish. Top with fried tater tots. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese over tots and drizzle with 2 teaspoons Frank's RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce. Serve hot.