As the heat of summer winds down and cooler fall weather moves in, that means football season is upon us! And with that, hello tailgating season! Are you a hardcore football fan that loves throwing tailgates with delicious foods? And what's more perfect for football season than cheeseburgers?
Tomorrow (September 18) is National Cheeseburger Day, and here a new twist on classic sliders from the American Lamb Board. Enjoy!
Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
2 lbs American Lamb boneless leg of lamb or lamb sirloin
1 ea. yellow onion, large size, thinly sliced
2 cups mushrooms sliced
1 ea. red pepper large, thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder
3 T olive oil
1 T fresh thyme leaves (optional)
Ingredients for sliders
1 large slider loaf (12 units)
⅓ cup mayo
12 slices of cheese, use your favorite
2 T melted butter
Season to taste: salt pepper, fresh thyme and chili flakes
- Pre-freeze your meat for at least 2 hours to allow it for easy slicing
- Thinly slice the pre-frozen piece of lamb into thin slices and the veggies too
- Season to taste: salt, pepper, fresh thyme and chili flakes and prepare the veggies.
- Season the lamb with spices and olive oil.
- Preheat the griddle (flat or perforated grill pan), on the grill, for 10 minutes while the lamb is seasoned.
- Now add the lamb and veggies all at once and toss to cook on the grill.
- The meat and veggie mixture is ready in 15-20 minutes.
- Cut through the slider bread in half and spread the mayo on both sides of the bread. Liberally season over the mayo.
- Now layer thinly sliced cheese and go ahead with the cooked lamb meat and veggies.
- Top that with more cheese, cover the bread and push it down.
- Brush the tops of the sliders with melted butter and season liberally again on top.
- Place the sliders on the grill and make sure to cover the lid on. 5 minutes later, the cheese will be melted and your Philly cheesesteak Sliders are ready to devour!