Memorial Day is typically considered the unofficial start of summer, and what better way to celebrate summer than a good ol' fashioned barbecue.
Over the past couple years catering has seen a resurgence in barbecued foods, especially when related to speciific styles of barbecue. More than ever before, guests are looking for a sense of authenticity in their event menus, and one way to accomplish that is be incorporating the traditiona, flavor of a region, whether that's cahun flacors in New Orleans, Tex-Mex options in Texas, and obviously you can't forget about the southern barbecue flavors. But barbecue has flavors all of its own when you compared Tennesee to Australian to Carolina. Each one unique, each one delicioius.
In this recipe, Chef Stephen Toevs, Director of Culinary Develoopment for Marriott Luxury Brands. offers up a barbecue lamb sandwich with a simple barbecue rub treatment
"The Aussie lamb rump has a rich meaty flavor that is tender, super quick to grill, and pairs perfectly with the Carolina style BBQ sauce and pickled red onion," Toevs said. "A crispy baguette, and perfectly melted swiss cheese add texture and fat that makes a sandwich fit for a king!”
Down Under BBQ Sandwich with Aussie Lam & Carolina BBQ Sauce
2 Australian lamb rumps (~10 ounces)
BBQ seasoning, to taste
1 crusty 12” French baguette
5 slices swiss cheese
4 oz (wt.) yellow onion, sliced thin, sautéed
4 oz (wt.) pickled onions
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
4 oz Carolina BBQ sauce
- Preheat grill over HIGH heat.
- Season the lamb liberally with your favorite BBQ seasoning.
- Grill for 4-6 minutes on each side or until desired doneness is reached.
- Rest lamb for 5 minutes and slice thin.
- Assemble the sandwich by grilling the bread then adding the lamb, swiss cheese, grilled onions, pickled onions, fresh picked rosemary and the BBQ sauce before adding the top bun.
- Serve immediately with your favorite side.
NOTES: Pairs great with a hazy New England I.P.A