We're going to kill two birds with one stone today! Not only is May National Egg Month, but it's also national Loaded Potato Month! And who knew that these two dishes, which seem like complete opposites, could go together to perfectly? Check out this great recipe from the American Egg Board. Bon Appetit!
Loaded Potato Scotch Eggs
9 large hard-boiled eggs
4 cups mashed potatoes
10 ea. bacon, cooked crispy and chopped
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup chopped green onion
salt and pepper (to taste)
1 cup flour
2 cups panko bread crumbs
½ cup whole grain mustard
2 T crème fraîche
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Heat fryer to 350° F. Mix together mashed potato, bacon, cheese, onions, salt and pepper until combined.
- Scoop potato mixture into the palm of your hand, cupping to create a bowl shape. Place a hard-boiled egg in the center and gently WRAP and seal tightly. Set aside to chill.
- Put flour, whisked eggs and panko in three seperate containers. Toss each coated egg in flour, then egg wash, then bread crumbs.
- Fry eggs, two at a time until golden, approximately 2 minutes each.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, crème fraîche and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Dollop onto a plate and place fried eggs on top.