It's time to celebrate the ultimate superstar superfruit for National Mango Day! Home to a wonderfully refreshing combination of flavor, nutrition, and versatility, the mango is the absolute party fruit, ready for anything. Check out these juicy recipes from the National Mango Board. enjoy!
Fresh Mango Oatmeal Congee
Recipe and photo courtesy Chef Dave Wooley
Yield: 12 servings
Ingredients for Oatmeal Porridge
- Add the oats, broth, and soy sauce to a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer until the oatmeal is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Coat a small nonstick sauté pan with cooking spray. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender and all liquid is evaporated, about 4 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and sauté until the liquid has evaporated. Stir the mushrooms into the oatmeal porridge.
Ingredients for Ginger Turmeric Granola
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Pour coconut, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds on a large baking sheet.
- In a bowl, mix together the coconut oil, vanilla, raw honey, sea salt and spices. Pour oil and spice mixture over the coconut and seeds. Stir well to coat. Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and stir, and place in oven for another 15 minutes. Stir again and if need be, place in oven for another 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it at this point to make sure it doesn’t get too dark!
- Cool completely and store in airtight container.
- Spoon ¾ cup hot Oatmeal Porridge into a bowl.
- Top with 1 poached egg, 3 tablespoons diced mango, 1 teaspoon pork sung, ½ teaspoon green onion, 3 slices Fresno chili, and 1 tablespoon Ginger Turmeric Granola.
Mango Moroccan Mimosa
Recipe and photo courtesy Tony Pereyra, Bar & Beverage Specialist
Yield: 1 serving
- Combine hot tea and sugar into mixing cup and stir until sugar dissolves. Cover and refrigerate up to 10 days.
- Swirl mango juice and chai syrup in a champagne flute, and top with sparkling wine. Add one mango slice to glass and notch the other, dust lightly with cinnamon and garnish the glass.
Mango Barbecue Chicken Sandwich with Mango Cabbage Slaw
Recipe and photo courtesy
Culinary Institute of America
Yield: 8 Sandwiches
- Combine the chicken and a couple of spoonsful of Mango BBQ sauce in a sauté pan.
- Warm over medium heat. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Just prior to serving, gently stir in the diced mangos.
Ingredients for Mango BBQ Sauce
- Heat a saucepot over medium heat. Add the oil and onions. Cook over medium heat until the onions are slightly caramelized and soft. Add the garlic and ginger, cook until aromatic. Add the mango, ketchup, brown sugar, syrup, vinegar, molasses, chipotle, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat until the mangos are soft and tender. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Puree the sauce with a hand blender and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and vinegar.
Ingredients for Mango Cabbage Slaw
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, mango, green onions, red onions, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the oil, cider vinegar, agave, and cayenne, season with salt, and pepper.
- Add to the cabbage mixture and gently mix. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bun.
- Place a spoonful of the chicken mixture on the bottom bun.
- Top with the Mango Cabbage Slaw. Place the top bun on top.
Grilled Eggplant Salad
Recipe and photo courtesy Chef Dave Woolley
Yield: 10 servings
Ingredients for Harissa Spiced Grilled Eggplant
*Harissa powder is a spice blend. If unavailable, combine ¼ cup ground coriander, ¼ cup garlic powder, ½ cup paprika, ¼ cup cumin, 3 Tbsp ancho chile powder, 4 tsp salt and 4 tsp cayenne pepper.
- Whisk 2 Tbsp oil, lemon juice, and harissa in medium bowl. Season mixture with salt, to taste.
- Prepare grill (high heat). Grill bell pepper quarters, skin side down, until charred and cooked through.
- Reduce heat to medium on grill. Pour remaining 3 Tbsp oil onto rimmed baking sheet. Place prepped eggplant on prepared sheet; turn to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until charred in spots and cooked through, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Return eggplant to same sheet.
- Add grilled bell peppers to sheet and toss with harissa oil.
DO AHEAD: Dressing and vegetables can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
Ingredients for Grilled Fresh Mango
- To make marinade: Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, except the mango; whisk well.
- Peel the mangos. Cut the cheeks from the fruit and trim the remaining flesh from the pit. Add the cheeks and larger pieces to the mixing bowl to marinate for 30 minutes to an hour. Use the smaller pieces for the sambal.
- Preheat a grill to medium-hot. Remove the mango cheeks from the marinade (save marinade to drizzle on salads) and place the pieces on the grill and cook 8 to 10 minutes turning the mango until cooked through and caramelized.
Ingredients for Mango Sambal
- Combine mango and remaining ingredients and cook in a large saucepan 8 to 10 minutes to help “set” the ingredients, and then cool immediately. Serve on the side or toss with quinoa.
- Divide ingredients evenly by 10 to make 10 individual composed salads or place ingredients onto a large serving platter to serve family style. Drizzle reserved mango marinade over salad. Garnish individual servings with 1 T crumbled feta and fresh herbs.
Pulled Pork and Mango Rolls with Carolina Mustard Sauce
Recipe and photo courtesy Chef Allison Leono
Yield: 10 rolls, 2 per serving
Ingredients for Carolina Mustard Sauce (Makes 2 cups)
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved and everything is well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Sauce can be made up to two weeks in advance.
Ingredients for Pulled Pork (Makes about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or other heavy ovenproof pot over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile season pork with salt and pepper. When oil is hot, sear meat on all sides.Add onion and beer and bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake until pork is very tender, at least three hours. Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes then shred with a fork.
- Pulled pork can be made a day or two in advance and reheated.
Ingredients for Rolls
- Hydrate rice paper sheets one at a time in hot water for 10 to 15 seconds, then pat dry.
- Place the rice paper on a cutting board and layer in the center: 2 to 4 mango slices, 1 lettuce leaf, 3 cucumber slices, one avocado slice, 2 tablespoons pulled pork, 2 apple strips, a scant tablespoon of basil and 1 tablespoon mint.
- Fold the top and bottom in, and then roll up tightly from the left, like a burrito. Place the role seam side down on a serving platter.
- Cover with a damp paper towel as you build remaining rolls.
Plate two rolls per serving, whole or cut in half, with Carolina Mustard Sauce.
Vietnamese Green Mango Noodle Bowl
Recipe and photo courtesy Culinary Institute of America
Yield: 6 Portions
*Recommended unripe (green) mango ripeness stage 2 to 2.5
- Heat a grill or griddle on high and grill or griddle the beef until just done. Slice thinly.
- Toss mango, green beans, bell peppers, cilantro, and Thai basil with chili lime vinaigrette.
- Place lettuce in bowls and top with the salad and beef. Garnish with fried shallots and peanuts.
Ingredients for Marinade
- Combine lemongrass, shallot, soy sauce, sugar in a bowl.
- Marinate beef for 30 minutes. Drain beef from marinade.
Ingredients for Fried Shallots
- Place shallots on paper towel lines sheet pan for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pot with the oil to 275°F. Fry shallots in batches until golden brown, drain, and reserve. Cool the oil.
Ingredients for Chili Lime Vinaigrette
- Mash the garlic and chilies in a mortar and pestle with the sugar until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and add fish sauce, lime juice and water.
- Drizzle in the shallot oil until incorporated.
Grilled Swordfish with Grilled Mango Salad
Photo and recipe courtesy Chef’s Roll
Yield: 2 Servings
Method for Grilled Mango Salad
- Peel the mangos and cut the cheeks away from the seed.
- Trim remaining fruit away from the seed for another use.
- Toss the mango cheeks in oil and grill until marked on both sides. Remove from the grill and cool on a rack; then cut and reserve in a bowl.
- Slice the cucumber and radish on a mandolin or slice thinly with a knife, and add to the bowl of mangos.
- Pick cilantro and mint leaves off the stem and place into the bowl. Add oil, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar and pickled onion.
- Toss to combine ingredients.
Method for Grilled Swordfish
- Cook over high heat until fully cooked, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Place salad beside the grilled swordfish.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Photo and recipe courtesy Tony Pereyra, Bar & Beverage Specialist
Yield: 1 serving
- Measure first 5 ingredients into blender container and blend until smooth.
- Place 1 oz of the Tajin Chamoy and all of the tajin seasoning into small dishes. Dip the rim of the glass into the Tajin Chamoy and then the tajin seasoning.
- Drizzle remaining 1 oz of Tajin Chamoy along inside of glass. Pour blended Mangonada into glass and garnish with fresh mango, Tajin and tamarind candy