Comfort food is what people are craving in these uncertain times. Sandwiches are a go-to comfort food and a natural for to-go menus. With off-premise dining rising, there's no better time to reinvigorate your sandwich menu. Push the limits of your all-day sandwich menu by introducing the uneggspected - mix-up flavors, proteins, textures, outsides, insides, sauces, sides and dips.
Provide comfort with a dash of epic with this recipe provided by the American Egg Board. And Wednesday just happened to be National Egg Day.
Chef Nick's Four Cheese Egg Sandwich
By Nick Korbee, Chef-Parter | Egg Shop, New York
Yield: 4 Servings
32 oz. scrambe mix (recipe follows)
2 T neutral oil (canola)
8 slices brioche bread (thick cut, or Texas toast if brioche unavilable)
4 T avocado chive butter (recipe follows)
6 T finely sliced chives
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 oz. pecorino cheese (finely grated with Microplane)
Kosher salt to taste; see salt to garnish
- Oil griddle top and heat to medium-low.
- Ladle approximately eight-ounces scrambled egg mix onto the griddle in a single thin sheet the same width as the sliced cheese.
- Toast two slices of brioche on the oiled griddle, next to the egg sheet.
- Season eggs with salt, and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. finely sliced chives.
- As eggs begin to set, place a slice of cheddar and Swiss side by side in the center of the sheet of eggs.
- Fold the top and bottom edges of the egg sheet over the sliced cheese.
- Place slice of Jack cheese on top of the folded eggs that are now covering the cheddar slice.
- Fold the egg sheet in half to cover the Jack cheese, and top with finely grated pecorino cheese.
- To finish, spread ½ tbsp. of avocado chive butter on each piece of toasted brioche. Then add the folded eggs and cheese to the sandwich, slice diagonally with serrated knife. Garnish with more finely slice chives and a pinch of sea salt.
SCRAMBLE MIX Ingredients
12 fresh large eggs
½ cup heavy cream
- Crack eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Gently whisk heavy cream into the eggs.
- Strain mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any shell fragments
AVOCADO CHIVE BUTTER Ingredients
½ lb. unsalted butter (soft, room temperature)
4 oz. chives
8 oz. cold water
Juice of one lemon
1 ripe avocado
2 tsp. kosher salt
- Purée chives and cold water in a blender until very smooth and well combined.
- Add butter, chive purée and avocado to the bowl of a food processor, and purée until smooth.*
- Add salt and lemon juice and adjust salt to taste.