Three women chefs, Elgin Woodman, Joy Wallace Catering Design and Special Events; Karen O'Connor, Daniel et Daniel Catering & Events; and Joanne Purnell, Good Gracious! Events shared three of their favorite and most innovative chicken recipes on the Culinary Experience Stage.
Use one whole chicken deboned and left whole (depending on how large you want to make your roulade you can either use half or a whole chicken). Pound chicken slightly
1 cup diced stale bread
1 cup goat cheese
¼ cup dried cherries
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp chives
3 T olive oil
1 T paprika
½ tsp cayenne
2 tsp garlic
1 T thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Spread stuffing over chicken and roll up (NOTE: using meat glue will help seal it but not necessary)
2. Wrap the chicken in plastic and steam for 15 minutes
3. Remove plastic and rub chicken with marinade.
4. Roast at 375 F for minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
5. Cool and slice.
CHERRY GASTRIQUE Ingredients
¼ cup red wine
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup sugar
1 cup frozen cherries
1. Caramelize sugar
2. Add red wine & red wine vinegar
3. Reduce until sticky
4. Add cherries, and bring to a gentle boil for 2 minutes.
5. Serve room temperature.
Grainy Mustard B.B.Q Marinade
by Joanne Purnell
Makes: 7 Cups
2½ cups grainy mustard
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 T minced garlic
½ cup teriyaki sauce
¼ cup chopped fresh thyme
4 tsp lemon zest ( one lemon)
1½ cups olive oil
½ cup vegetable oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
15 chicken breasts, 5 oz each boneless and skinless
Thyme sprigs for garnish
1. Combine in food processor, all the ingredients except the oil
2. Slowly add oil until emulsify, check the seasoning.
3. Pound out the chicken breast to made it even thickest, then cut the chicken into 3 to4 bite size pieces or little bit bigger.
4. Marinade the chicken day before with about three 3 cups of marinade. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Day of: grill very lightly to get some color and marks. Transfer to a tray. Cover the chicken with the left-over marinade lightly and finish cooking off in the oven for a couple more minutes. Then serve.
6. On the plate place a tablespoon of mash potatoes then to pieces of chicken 1 teaspoon of sauce to drizzle over the chicken and garnish with sprig of thyme.
WHITE WINE SAUCE ingredients
2 T butter
4 oz. (½) carrot peeled and diced
1# (2) yellow onions, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
½# (1 pt.) shallots, diced
3 bottles (750ml) good white wine
½ cup dry sherry
12 cups chicken broth
12 cloves garlic
6 bay leaves
½ bunch fresh thyme
½ bunch parsley stems
½ T whole peppercorns
½ cup grainy mustard
Corn starch slurry
1, In sauce pan melt butter, add onion, carrot, celery. Saute over medium heat till tender and brown.
2. Add white wine and dry sherry.
3. Cook over med. heat until reduced to 3 cups.
4. Add chicken broth, herbs, garlic and peppercorns, cook at simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
5. Strain, put the liquid back to the saucepan, add grainy mustard
6. Thicken with slurry of cornstarch
7. Taste for seasoning.
8. Simmer sauce for 12-20 minutes till raw flour taste is cooked out.
9. Pour a bout teaspoon over the chicken to give a little more flavor.
3 Spanish onions, jumbo
3 red onions, jumbo
2 cups cilantro, fresh
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp Spanish paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 oz tamarind paste
½ cup pomegranate puree
2 T ketchup
1 tsp salt
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup candied ginger
½ cup coconut - flake sweetened
6 lbs chicken thigh
64 free range airline chicken - 10oz
1. Saute' onions, half of cilantro, garlic and spices
2. Add pomegranate puree, tamarind and ketchup
3. Add chicken thighs
4. Cook until tender
5. Remove chicken and pull. Reserve.
6. Reduce sauce. Chop and mix with chopped walnuts and candied ginger and extra cilantro
7. Chill the chicken and reserve
8. Make a slit in the airline chicken. Stuff it with 1-1.25oz of pulled chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Hard sear chicken
10. Finish in the oven for service
Optional: brush with herb oil for color