As the temperatures start to cool, everyone will be starting to crave comfort food, and there's possibly nothing that says "comfort" like a warm skillet. This skillet from Mareya Ibrahim also incorporates several immunity boosting foods to ensure you stay happy and healthy this fall.
Chicken Sausage, Spelt and Pepper Skillet
- 2 T raw coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ pounds raw chicken sausage, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks, casings removed
- 1 cup uncooked spelt
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced stemmed cremini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with their juices
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 packs Lightlife Smart Dogs, chopped into ½-inch chunks
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a heavy cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and chili powder, and cook until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add chicken sausage or Lightlife Smart Dogs and cook 6 to 8 minutes, until browned.
- Add spelt* or brown rice and chicken or vegetable broth. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes with their juices, and oregano. Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 1 hour, or until vegetables and spelt are tender and liquid is absorbed. Spoon skillet mixture into a bowl and taste the goodness.
- *Soak spelt overnight to reduce the lectins and allow for a faster cook time.