Yield: 1 lb
1 20 oz can of jackfruit in water
1 small onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
4 oz coca cola
4 oz water
1 Tbsp chipotle pepper in adobo
1. In a large freezer bag add oil, paprika, chili powder, and coke. Mix well.
2. Add jackfruit to the marinade and allow to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours either on the counter, or if marinating overnight, place in the fridge.
3. When the jackfruit has marinated and is ready to go, place a pan on medium heat, and heat oil. When your oil is hot, add onion and garlic to the pan. Cook and mix until onions are clear.
4. Add chipotle peppers and mix until all onions are covered in chipotle (about 2 mins).
5. Add jackfruit, mix well, and bring to a simmer for about 20 mins, covering halfway through to avoid drying out the meat.
6. After 20 mins, break up the jackfruit using a a masher or a fork and reduce heat even more. Cover and continue to cook on low for another 15-20 minutes, stirring often to break up large pieces of jackfruit.
7. Cook until all liquid has evaporated. Serve on sliders or as preferred.
Recipe provided by Steve Ulibarri, Cuisine Unlimited, during the 2015 Art of Catering Food conference in Salt Lake City.
The Art of Catering Food is brought to you in part by: