At the 2017 Art of Catering Food, chef Eric LeVine of Morris Tap & Grill inspired attendees with his Creative Appetizers, Wrapped & Rolled session. Here is the recipe for the tasty appetizer that those in the class were able to watch being prepared, and then were able to taste it, too.
Black Bean & Chorizo Bite with Chipotle Aioli
Servings 50; 1 oz ball with sauce
Ingredients: Black bean
4 qt black beans, cooked, drained
1 cups shallots, shaved
1 cups garlic, chopped
8 ea portobello, stem and all (clean stem base off)
1 cups flat leaf parsley
4 T oregano
4 cups Panko bread crumbs
3 T tapioca starch
1 T sea salt
1 T black pepper, ground
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Sauté mushroom until tender, add garlic, shallots, then add to a food processor.
2. Add beans, parsley, oregano, tapioca, bread crumb into mixture, blend until slightly smooth but not pureéd
3. Pour onto sheet pan and cool, until filling stage.
Ingredients: Chorizo saffron rice
3 ea red pepper, chopped
6 ea garlic cloves, minced
6 cups long grain rice
1 lb chorizo, Spanish, cooked and small diced
3 qt chicken broth
2 T saffron threads
1 cups cilantro chopped
2 T olive oil
2 ea onion
1. Heat oil, sauté peppers, garlic, onion; add chorizo, rice, saffron, broth, cook for 15 minutes, finish with parsley; pour onto sheet pan and cool
2. Take 1 tablespoon scoop of black bean mix, push well into mix with thumb
3. Take 1/2 tsp worth of rice into center of black bean mix and fold in well sides to form ball
4. Place balls on sheet pan with parchment paper and bake in oven for 8-10 minutes or until hot.
Want to learn more about the Art of Catering Food 2018? Click here!