Autumn—that enchanting season with the warm colors of summer and winter’s cool breezes. As fall approaches, caterers welcome the season and the changes it brings: fewer picnics, more unique weddings, and a whole spectrum of seasonal flavors to inspire amazing cuisine.
While summer menus are fun, light and fresh, autumn menus celebrate warmth, rich spices and hearty flavors. We’ve found some of the best ingredients and dishes with which to experiment in your fall menus and have listed them below.
Apples & nostalgia
Bobbing for apples, apple pies, and caramel apples are three things that rouse memories of lively fall nights surrounded by family and friends for a good time. This tart but versatile fruit can be used in a multitude of different dishes and alongside many different flavors. Here are some of our favorites:
• Apple butters to spread on crostini, muffins, and pork
• Cubes of apple cooked with seasonal vegetables, like green beans, Brussels sprouts, and squash
• Apple slices on flatbreads, cheese plates, and cheese sandwiches
Rich, creamy pumpkin
An iconic part of fall, pumpkin is synonymous with this season, from carving pumpkins to pumpkin pie to the wildly popular pumpkin spice lattes. Cooking and baking with this hearty ingredient challenges you to step outside traditional and be inventive. Here’s some inspiration:
• Mix pumpkin into stews and chili for a new flavor profile
• Add pumpkin to chocolate desserts, like brownies, breads, and cakes
• Cook in casseroles or pastas, giving a rich flavor to starchy elements
Squash adds warmth, depth
Another versatile ingredient, squash, can be featured in every meal, from breakfast breads to rich casseroles to sweet desserts. There are so many different ways to utilize squash. Here are some of our top picks:
• Stir cubes of squash into pastas and risottos; it works well with starch and cheese
• Roast the squash and turn it into soups, stews, and bisques
• Pair it with fresh elements like kale, arugula, and herbs to complement its rich taste
To learn more about the ICA, visit www.internationalcaterers.org.
Get Fresh September 2015