Yield: 30-36 skewers
1 2lb pork butt, cut into 2-3”x5-6” strips
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup pineapple juice
3-4 Tbsp hot sauce
8-10 cloves garlic, crushed
3 Tbsp brown or regular sugar
3-4 drops red food coloring
Ground pepper, to taste
2 cups honey
3 tsp sesame oil
Sesame seeds, toasted
2 ea pineapple, grilled
1. Combine all ingredients in large container and marinate pork overnight in refrigerator.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake the pork in a little bit of the juice for about 20 minutes or until it is almost cooked. This is important as you will finish cooking it on the grill and you do not want it to dry out.
2. Preheat grill to very hot. Whip honey and sesame oil in bowl. Baste pork with honey mixture on all sides.
3. Grill pork until honey caramelizes on both sides. Dust with toasted sesame seeds. Slice and skewer with grilled pineapple bites.
Grilled Pineapple Bites
1. Cut all skin off pineapple and core. Slice into rings.
2. Baste pineapple with honey and grill rings on both sides until caramelized. Cut into bite size chunks.
Recipe provided by Jack Jacobs, Chez Gourmet, during the 2015 Art of Catering Food conference in Salt Lake City.